Senior Scientist II, Flavor Systems
Website The Coca-Cola Company
This position requires specialization in general flavor development and creation with additional knowledge of citrus preferred. The candidate is expected to develop differentiated flavor systems in the pillars of continuity, productivity, and innovation for The Company’s global beverage brands; commercialize new flavors and/or technologies or improve existing products and/or technologies; collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders to deliver projects according to established timelines and budgets; communicate project updates and information to leadership; contribute to building flavor knowledge and capability for The Company.
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities:
- Working with FM and PD to create flavor systems using various scientific applications and creative thinking.
- Managing multiple projects and executing deliverables on time and within guidelines.
- Collaboration cross-functionally within the organization to accomplish business-critical initiatives.
- Providing relevant project information and updates to leadership or other key stakeholders.
- On-going flavor capability development for self and others in the organization.
- Exemplifying The Company’s growth behaviors, being inclusive, iterative, curious, and empowered.
- Advanced Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biology, or another science-related field required.
- Full Certification in the Society of Flavor Chemists
Related Work Experience:
- Prior flavor house experience preferred
- 5 years of experience in flavor development, creation, or analysis with Master of Science or certification.
- 7 years of experience in flavor development, creation, or analysis with a Bachelor of Science.
- Creativity, with a high level of sensory acuity (ability to taste, and smell)
- Knowledge of essential oils, flavoring chemicals, solvent systems, flavor delivery methods and other building blocks used in flavor creation
- Basic knowledge of instrumentation used in flavor development (including but not limited to gc/ms, flash point tester, pH meter, densitometer)
- General knowledge of chemistry, chemical reactions, and the application to flavor development
- Basic understanding of flavor labeling (FDA, USDA, TTB, and standard of identity), and flavor regulatory organizations
- Design, conduct and/or review flavor creation experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) in order to deliver new, consumer preferred flavors/flavor keys for The Coca-Cola Company beverage products
- Create, develop and evaluate/assess (e.g., through laboratory testing or sensory analysis) a working flavor prototype against technical requirements, fit to concept or performance specifications (e.g., functionality, operational feasibility, costing targets)
- Evaluate ingredient or new flavor materials, product, processes and make recommendations for optimization based on project requirements
- Apply flavor creations in simple beverage bases and assist Company product developers and quality assurance associates with flavor related issues and questions as needed.
- Participate in team projects, interdepartmental/divisional committees or company-wide initiatives in order to share information, represent the department/division perspective or assist with product development, process modification, package development and marketing.
Technical Skills – The following is a list of the top Technical Skills needed for the job.
- Flavor Creation: Knowledge of flavor compounding and flavor creation and the ability to create and apply new flavor prototypes based on product briefs
- Ingredients: Knowledge of key flavor ingredients in general and those specifically used in the production of concentrates and beverage bases with special attention to citrus and terpene flavor chemistry
- Basic Product Development: Knowledge of the product development process with a preference for prior beverage experience and beverage manufacturing knowledge and experience. Flexible and creative attitude with a strong attention to detail.
- Analytical Chemistry: Ability to utilize and apply analytical instruments to assist with flavor creation and flavor problem solving
- Moderate Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and capable user; Knowledge of chromatography data systems and capable user.
- Building Technical Relationships: Ability to apply technical knowledge and establish credibility through written reports and oral presentations with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Proprietary Composition Information: Ability to recognize and protect proprietary information as it relates to formulas and ingredients.
- Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget.)
To apply for this job please visit coke.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.