Norfolk Southern Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, seeks an energetic problem solver with proficiency in JAVA software development. The ideal applicant for this position is highly motivated in agile software development and works well as part of a diverse development team. In this position, you will help with the development of important operational systems supporting Norfolk Southern train operations. Additionally, as an employee in the NS Information Technology Department, you will design and develop enhancements to critical management and monitoring systems supporting Norfolk Southern’s Train Control initiative. Daily work may additionally involve interactions with software vendors and integration partners. There are also opportunities to serve on standards bodies collaborating with partners within the Transportation industry for standards development.
4-yr College Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering or related field
Qualifications & Experience:
- 5+ years of development experience with Java
- Java Object Oriented (OO) coding experience
- Experience with JBOSS and Open Shift application server environments
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases (especially DB2, Oracle, MS SQL Server) and SQL.
- TIBCO, AMQP, and MQ message system knowledge
- Understanding of Agile development and use of JIRA for issue and project tracking
- Familiar with Git and change and configuration management best practices
- Ability to work on multiple active projects at one time
- Solid grasp of web and backend application development frameworks
- Experience in UNIX or Linux
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as strong teamwork and customer support focus
- Strong Organizational and time-management skills