Director, Software Engineering – Private Brands
At Macy’s, we’re moving fast—we’re at top speed to become America’s premiere retailer. Macy’s Technology strives to set the pace by providing seamless and compelling shopping experiences for our Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s customers. Macy’s Technology is creating innovative technology solutions to support these experiences and define the future of retailing.
The Director, Engineering reports to the Senior Director, Engineering and will work with the Senior Director to establish and drive the technology solutions strategy and implementation for the needs of Macy’s. The Director will partner with other technical and business functions across the enterprise, involved in the strategy and governance, making the right and balanced technical decisions that take into account delivery code, predictability and above all, business values.
This leader should have an excellent engineering foundation with modern technology stack and experience implementing modern technologies. The candidate should also have strong managerial experience to leverage existing engineering team, attract and recruit top engineering talent, and a track record of successfully leading large-scale technology implementations in retail or related industries. Be willing to take on additional engineering and leadership duties as assigned.
- Explore future technology needs for Macy’s, by balancing technology innovation, industry trends, and Macy’s customer and associate facing solution needs.
- Lead the development, delivery, and operations of technology solutions to support the modernization of Macy’s capabilities. Advises Macys Tech senior management on strategic plans and improvements to systems and processes to execute business vision and strategic plan.
- Lead the efforts to stay current on the technology stack and platforms.
- Responsible for partnership and collaboration with various cross-functional teams to modernize Macy’s platforms.
- Play a key role to enhance software quality across the Macy’s Technology organization; and driving end-to-end accountability at all levels of Macy’s Technology organization.
- Accountable for talent development and building technology bench strength in Macy’s Technology organization.
- Mentor and coach leaders & individual contributors reporting to this position and play an active role in raising the talent bar across the technology team.
- Responsible for this portfolio’s budget, projects, and resources planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering or related field preferred, and 8-10 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 15+ years of experience in software engineering and high-volume enterprise systems
- 10+ years of experience in engineering management and delivering large-scale transformation initiatives in retail required.
- Building cloud-native applications in private & public cloud (GCP, Azure, AWS) would be a plus.
Experience delivering software engineering solution in a highly matrixed organization required.
- Experience managing large offshore teams and 3rd party vendors would be a plus.
- Experience with modern tech stack and open source technologies required.
- Experience and passion to work in a fast-paced Agile environment, delivering functional features in small time durations required.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written/ verbal communication skills and presentation skills. Demonstrable presentation, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Reasoning Ability: Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Strong leadership profile and excellent negotiation skills.
- Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations.
Work Hours: Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
- Decision Making: Ability to balance short-term tactical decisions with long-term strategic thinking.
- Supervisory Responsibility: 6-8 direct reports
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org