ACCESS PLATFORMS AND SERVICES ENGINEER III- Cox Communications
Website Cox Communications
Cox Communications is searching for a hands-on engineer with a background in IP networking, to work as part of a cross-functional development team in Cox’s Access Platforms and Services group.
The Access Platforms and Services group works closely with the Access Engineering Design and Sustaining teams, Cox Product, and Cox Network Monitoring tools development teams and is responsible for:
- Specifying, evaluating and helping to deploy tooling solutions for DOCSIS based networks – including Distributed Access Architectures and Remote PHY.
- Designing, prototyping, implementing, and maintaining scripting and automation tools for Access Network service support platforms, telemetry, configuration, and Access Network platform testing.
- Developing and documenting standardized operational processes for Access Network Service delivery tools and functions.
- Designing, documenting, and testing virtualization of various Access Network functions and platforms.
This job function resides within the Access Network Engineering team which collaborates with various engineering and operational teams to sustain the best network experience for our customers. The Access Network Engineering teams are responsible for reliability, performance, scalability, quality and availability of the Cox’s Nationwide Access Network.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Assists in the design, development, testing, and documentation of new Cable Access Network-focused software applications and automation.
• Works on prototyping technologies such as RESTful APIs, software front-ends, and data visualizations to influence internal and external teams to adopt, support, and integrate automation initiatives directly into operational systems and processes.
• Conducts lab evaluations, prototypes, implements, and tests solutions related to virtualization, automation, and consolidation of some existing Access Network related platforms and tools.
• Defines and compiles methods of procedures and documentation to support personnel in the maintenance, monitoring, and day-to-day operation of the network.
• Troubleshoots problems identified in lab testing and drive them to resolution. This includes understanding and proficiency working with lab test and measurement equipment used to test and troubleshoot IP networks, RF, DOCSIS, etc.
• Provides engineering support and consultation to other departments.
• Solicits and evaluates technical contributions and proposals from vendor companies as necessary to meet Cox’s future technical requirements.
• 5+ years of experience required in related field (i.e. Engineering.). 3+ years of experience required if candidate possesses a related advanced degree (MS/MBA or above).
• Understanding of basic network fundamentals and protocols, including TCP/IP, DOCSIS, SNMP, Netconf-Yang, capacity planning and routing/switching hardware.
• Experience in lab environment testing and use of various networking test equipment and protocol analyzers.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and able to work as part of cross-functional teams.
• Experience presenting to peers.
• Strong communication and documentation skills.
• BS/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or Management Information Systems and 5+ years or MS/MA and 3+ years of professional experience in a related field (software or other related engineering development).
• Experience in software design and scripting for automation
• UNIX system administrator background.
• Familiarity with VMWare/VCloud, IPv6, advanced networking/security, and/or load balancing is a plus.
• Familiarity with Network Functional Virtualization (NFV), Software-defined Networking (SDN), and/or Ansible is a plus.
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We’re dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Primary Location: 6305 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA, US
Division: Cox Communications Inc
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 213456