PRINCIPAL CABLE ACCESS ENGINEER- Cox Communications
Website Cox Communications
Cox Communications is searching for a Principal Access Engineer who will report directly to the Senior Director of Access Engineering. This person will be involved in the ongoing architecture, deployment and evolution of DOCSIS based data, video and telephony services and planning the future of the Cox Access Network including DAA and Remote MAC/PHY Architectures. There is a strong industry component required for this position as collaboration with standards bodies, vendors, and other MSOs is a major responsibility of this role.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Assist in defining architecture, evaluating vendors and defining implementation tasks associated with new and improving existing designs for DOCSIS, UERM, IPTV, IPDR, DSG, MGCP and SIP telephony, as well as DAA/Remote Phy Access architectures.
- Provide technical direction to resolve critical design and operational issues that affect development and deployment of new products and services over the Cox DOCSIS infrastructure.
- Perform evaluation, design and implementation tasks associated with new services and features of Cox Residential and Commercial Services. This includes working with other CCI departments such as New Business Development, Telephony Engineering, Engineering Operations, Marketing, Network Operations Center, as well as various Field Engineering and Operations groups.
- Responsible for the documentation of technical evaluations, network designs, deployment procedures, technical guidelines and support/troubleshooting procedures for involved projects
- Solicit and evaluate technical contributions and proposals from vendor companies as necessary to meet Cox’s future technical requirements.
- Participate in industry standards bodies, such as CableLabs, monitoring technologies, technical specifications, proposals, and issues of technical interest and their impact relevant to Cox’s business plans.
- Represent Cox Access Engineering in industry publications, industry conferences, to internal senior leadership, etc.
- This position requires a deep understanding of DOCSIS technologies and services, plus a strong foundation of IP networking fundamentals (10+ years)
- Strong communication, presentation and documentation skills
- Experience presenting to industry peers is required (Please provide examples).
- Knowledge of configuring, installing and testing DOCSIS and related IP technologies. Familiarity with ancillary technologies such as VOIP, QAM-based video, and IPTV also preferred.
- Knowledge of competing broadband technologies and services to implement and surpass current CCI offerings.
- Knowledge of HFC network combining, two-way RF principles and spectrum management
- Willingness to travel as needed. Typical travel will be 20%
- BS/MS EE, Computer Science, IS/IT Management
- Industry associations and workgroup leadership (SCTE/CableLabs/IEEE)
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We’re dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Primary Location: 6305 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA, US
Division: Cox Communications Inc
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 20840